The town is located on a peninsula in a large bay in the east of the Peloponnese. Following the Turkish governance, the Venetian Republic took it again during the Morean war in 1686. Soon
modernisation of the existing fortifications and construction of new ones was launched. Protection of the town was first strengthened on the access side, by the erection of a bastion belt in
whose construction Jančić was also involved.
However, the high Palamidi hill in front of the town, from which the town was regularly bombed by attackers, presented the greatest difficulty. Finally it was decided that a fortification should
be built there, designed by Jančić. The work started in 1711, during the service of the proveditore Agostino Sagredo. A complex fortification emerged, consisting of several buildings resembling
separate bastions. Each one was self-contained, as well as able to keep the others under control. Their disposition is well adjusted to the inclined and rocky surface. The detached structures are
nevertheless surrounded and unified by an external wall, while the complex is connected with the town below by a steep stairway. The construction lasted until 1715, when a new Turkish siege
occurred and the fall of Palamidi and Napoli predicted the forthcoming loss of the entire Peloponnese.